Canada Graduate Scholarship Michael Smith Foreign Study Supplement - 3rd Call
The Canada Graduate Scholarships - Michael Smith Foreign Study Supplements (CGS-MSFSS) Program supports high-calibre Canadian graduate students in building global linkages and international networks through the pursuit of exceptional research experiences at research institutions abroad. By accessing international scientific research and training, CGS-MSFSS recipients will contribute to strengthening the potential for collaboration between Canadian and foreign institutions.
This program is available to Canadian citizens or permanent residents who hold a Tri-Agency Canada Graduate Scholarship (CGS) at the Master's or doctoral level or a Vanier CGS. Note that international students who hold a Vanier CGS are not eligible for this competition
Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) has launched a third intake for the 2018-2019 competition with the intention of awarding the remaining supplements from the two previous intakes. CIHR has sufficient funds for approximately 17 awards. Eligible applications will be accepted on a first come, first served basis. Complete and eligible applications will be forwarded to CIHR as they are received by the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies.
For complete eligibility criteria and program details, please review the harmonized program description hosted on NSERC’s website: http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/PG-CS/CGSForeignStudy-BESCEtudeEtranger_eng.asp
Applications will be evaluated on the basis of the linkage between the CGS research goals, the activities outlined for the proposed research study period abroad, and the applicant’s future research/career goals, considering:
- the significance, feasibility and merit of proposed activities at the foreign institution
- the justification for the choice of host institution and/or host supervisor
- the relevance and anticipated benefits of the proposed activities to the candidate’s current graduate-degree training
For reference, the program objectives are as follows:
- to support high-caliber Canadian graduate students in building global linkages and international networks through the pursuit of exceptional research experiences abroad
- to strengthen the potential for collaboration between Canadian institutions and other research institutions outside of Canada
Applicants submit their application materials directly to Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 4pm on Friday, 25 January 2019. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
1. Signed and dated CGS-MSFSS application form
- CIHR: The application form is a fillable PDF (view instructions here) Note: The budget proposal is a part of the application form.
2. Outline of proposed research (maximum two pages) while abroad, including:
- a description of your intended research activities during your study period abroad (including objectives, methodology, timelines, and expected outcomes)
- an indication as to how this relates to your main graduate research topic
- a description of the potential benefits that you will derive from the host institution in relation to your current research objectives
3. Two signed letters of support (maximum one page each)
- letter of support from your current CGS research supervisor detailing their support for your research study period abroad and confirming that your proposed research aligns with the research from your CGS award
- letter of support from host supervisor detailing their support for your research study period abroad and the resources they have available (financial [if any], supervision time, equipment, library access, etc.) to support your planned research activities
4. Signed consent forms
- Consent form from the Nominated Principal Applicant: An "Applicant consent form for use and disclosure of personal information provided to CIHR for peer review" must be completed and signed by the applicant.
- The "Consent to Disclosure of Personal Information" form must be completed and signed by the applicant and supervisor. For more information see "The Meaning of Signatures on Applications".
Signatures are required for (#1) application form, (#3) letters of support, and (#4) consent forms. Scanned handwritten signatures and digital signatures are acceptable.
All application materials should be submitted as PDF documents via email to email@example.com. Applicants are strongly encouraged to collect letters from their supervisors and include all PDF documents in one email.
All PDF documents should adhere to the file naming conventions as specified below. A complete application comprises the following:
- Signed and dated CGS-MSFSS application form:
- Outline of proposed research:
- Two signed letters of support:
- Signed consent forms:
Application materials and letters of support must be received by G+PS by 4:00 p.m. on Friday, 25 January 2019. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Applicants: It is your responsibility to ensure that your application is complete by the deadline. Please follow up with your supervisors before the deadline as appropriate.
Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies will review applications for eligibility and completeness and forward eligible applications to CIHR.