The Pharmacoepidemiology in Multiple Sclerosis (PiMS) research team in the Department of Medicine (Division of Neurology) at the University of British Columbia (UBC) is seeking an enthusiastic and self-motivated Postdoctoral Fellow to advance knowledge and improve the well-being of those affected by Multiple Sclerosis (MS).
Dr. Helen Tremlett leads the diverse PiMS team with an interdisciplinary approach and thrives to foster excellence in multi-disciplinary clinical, therapeutic, and epidemiological research in MS.
The successful applicant will have the opportunity to utilize health administrative databases linked with clinical data to: (1) examine the MS prodrome or ‘pre-MS trait’ in a Canada-Sweden multi-site collaboration; (2) assess drug safety and effectiveness in MS in an ongoing Canada multi-site project.
- PhD/MD degree in epidemiology, pharmacoepidemiology, or applied biostatistics.
- Experience with patients with chronic disease, comorbidities, or Multiple Sclerosis.
- Experience with large health-related datasets, data access, and linkage from administrative databases.
- Computer proficiency including statistical software (e.g. R or SAS).
- Working knowledge of advanced epidemiology-related research methodology and design, and advanced biostatistics.
- Excellent problem-solving and strong written/verbal communication skills in English.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with various researchers to efficiently meet study goals.
- Working knowledge of medical ethics and the importance of clinical and basic research.
Study design, hypotheses generation, ensuring data integrity, data access, data linkage, statistical analyses and interpretation, presentation of findings, grant writing, drafting and publication of scientific manuscripts; assisting with mentorship/supervision of graduate students.
Start date is negotiable. Funding for this position is initially available for 1 year. Salary will be based on the MS Society of Canada guidelines (https://mssociety.ca/information-for-researchers/funding-opportunities/endms-research-and-training-network-awards-and-programs/endms-postdoctoral-fellowships), with a generous extended health benefits package.
To apply, please send: (i) your letter of interest, (ii) CV, and (iii) names/contact information of 2-3 references to Dr. Helen Tremlett (subject line “Postdoctoral Applicant”) at:
For more details about the UBC PiMS research team, please see: http://epims.med.ubc.ca