The Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering at the University of British Columbia (UBC) invites applications for a Postdoctoral Fellow (PDF) position supervised by Professors Naoko Ellis, Tony Bi, Robert Legros and Kevin Smith. The PDF position will be located at UBC's Vancouver campus.
We are seeking a PDF to lead an experimental program aimed at the assessment of catalysts and processes for the conversion of synthesis gas to renewable natural gas.
Qualifications of applicant:
- Have completed a relevant Ph.D. (e.g., in chemical engineering, catalysis) within the last 3 years.
- Be highly motivated, organized, a good communicator (written and verbal).
- Thrive in a team environment.
- Have a strong desire to conduct process development research in close collaboration with industry.
- Expertise in assessment, characterization and synthesis of heterogeneous catalysts
- Experience with high temperature, high pressure fixed-bed reactors used for catalyst assessment, including on-line analytical systems using gas chromatography and mass spectrometry
- Familiarity with laboratory safety protocols when working with hydrogen and carbon monoxide
- Commission experimental set-up for catalyst assessment
- Design experimental plan to answer specific process development questions
- Demonstrate continuous operation of processes using the experimental set-up integrated with up-stream and down-stream processes
- Provide innovative solutions to experimental issues as they arise
- Deliver clear and concise written and oral presentation of data, analysis, and internal/external reports.
- Communicate with stakeholders in industries to update progress, receive guidance on new assignments, make preliminary selections on technical alternatives, and independently complete recurring assignments.
- Prepare manuscripts for publications and present their work at national/international conferences.
Duration & Salary:
This full-time PDF position has an initial 1-year appointment (as per UBC policy for PDFs), with the potential for renewal.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications.
The anticipated start date is immediate, but no later than May 1 2021. Review of applications will start immediately and will continue until the positions are filled.
Please send your CV, cover letter, and contact information of 3 references, addressed to:
Dr. Junnan Chao
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.