The UBC Department of Psychology is inviting applications for a position as a Postdoctoral Fellow at the Djavad Mowafaghian Centre for Brain Health under the supervision of Dr. Catharine Winstanley and Dr. Luke Clark. The broad goal of their collaborative research program is to understand the interaction between brain reward circuitry and the features of gambling products which together promote vulnerability to problem gambling. The successful candidate will take a lead role in a study of reward-related brain activity in gambling disorder using hybrid PET-MRI and will be expected to contribute to developing an innovative program of neurobehavioral and clinical research using this novel technology.
- This position requires a scientist within 3 years of completing their PhD in Neuroscience, Psychology or a related discipline.
- Advanced training in task-related fMRI or PET analyses is essential.
- Strong communication skills and team-working ability are essential.
- Experience with human subjects testing in the clinical context of addictive disorders would be a significant asset, but not essential.
- Experience with eye-tracking or pupillometry would be a significant asset, but not essential.
- The successful candidate should be able to work independently and be familiar with relevant statistical analyses, and have a track record of success in delivering project outcomes.
The PDF will
- partake in recruitment and scanning of participants with support from other team members.
- process and analyse brain imaging and task-related behavioural data, and prepare the study results for conference presentation and peer reviewed publication.
- communicate between the members of an interdisciplinary research team, including PIs in Psychology and the DMCBH, graduate students, and PET and MR technicians. There may be some contact with further stakeholders such as BC Lottery Corporation.
- attend weekly lab meetings in order to provide progress updates and relate the neuroimaging project to the other active programs of research.
How to apply
Interested applicants should send their CV/resume and cover letter to Dr. Catharine Winstanley at cwinstanley[at]psych.ubc.ca
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. The anticipated starting date will be September 1st 2021