We are seeking a highly-motivated post-doctoral fellow (PDF) with strong leadership ability and expertise in single cell genomics and transcriptomics, and a strong background in molecular biology. The successful applicant will work full-time under the supervision of Dr. Samuel Aparicio. The position start date is flexible.
The Aparicio lab is developing new single cell genome and transcriptome methods for tracking clonal trajectories at single cell level in patient tissues and patient-derived xenografts (PDX). A PDF position is available in the Aparicio lab based at the BC Cancer Research Center in Vancouver, Canada, collaborating on an exciting project mapping clonal dynamics in human cancers with new single cell methods. The post holder will have the opportunity to interact as part of the international CRUK Grand Challenge IMAXT project, bringing new measurement methods and computational techniques to the 3D reconstruction of tumours, and mapping drug sensitivity and drug combinations using sgRNA/CRISPR methods in vivo. The program works closely with the Shah computational biology program, based at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Centre, on the development of new models for single cell data and cancer evolution. Some experience with bioinformatics approaches to biological data and familiarity with handling of genomics data will be an advantage.
The Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine at UBC is a hybrid, academically intensive Department within the UBC Faculty of Medicine whose activities span a broad spectrum of teaching, research, and academic service, often performed in the milieu of clinical practice, and are ultimately devoted to improving the care, treatment, and well-being of patients. The Department offers academic degrees at the bachelor’s (Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (BMLSc)) and graduate (MSc, PhD) levels with the graduate program, one of the largest in the Faculty of Medicine, which has been recognized by UBC for its quality. The Department plays a major role in the MD undergraduate program and offers an accredited residency-training program. Faculty members participate across a spectrum of research from basic investigative to translational to clinical applied research and are recognized locally, nationally and internationally for their excellence.
Aparicio Lab is located in the department of Molecular Oncology at BC Cancer Research Center in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. The candidate will report directly to Dr. Samuel Aparicio, and will play a senior leadership role in the laboratory.
- Provide leadership, strategic direction, and translational research pertaining to single cell genomics and transcriptomics, and CRISPR methods.
- Design and implement research plan to investigate the clonal dynamics in human cancer through single cell methods.
- Design and conduct animal experiments.
- Conduct in vivo testing or characterization of drugs, small molecules, knockouts or antibodies in relevant PDX animal models.
- Foster research collaborations and work jointly with academic, clinical, industry, and other partners.
- Scientifically document lab experiments, data analysis, interpretations.
- Write manuscripts, present results at internal and external meetings.
- Identify funding opportunities and if required write or assist with grant proposals
- Lead and mentor junior trainees/students in the laboratory
Consequence of Error
This is a senior research position that plays a critical role in the development of this novel field. PDF is accountable for the quality and integrity of the research and data, including analyses and interpretation, as well as the effective and efficient management of research projects and deliverables. This position requires innovation, strategic planning, and adaptability. Incorrect decisions or actions may damage the reputation of the laboratory, lead to loss of credibility in this field, and be financially costly.
The PDF will work with a high degree of independence and set priorities under broad directives from Dr. Aparicio. The PDF will be expected to provide direction and mentoring in the laboratory under the supervision of Dr. Aparicio. This position will also provide the candidate with a high level of exposure to single cell genomics and translational research, as well as, providing opportunities to work collaboratively with industry partners and other researchers globally.
The PDF will be expected to provide mentorship and guidance to undergraduate, graduate students and other research members as required.
- Ph.D. in biology, cell biology, molecular biology, biochemistry, genetics, genomics, or similar discipline.
- The candidate should have a solid scientific and technical background with excellent written/oral communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Preference will be given to candidates with a proven track record with a minimum of 2-3 first author publications in reputable journals.
- Proficiency in cell biology, molecular biology, histology, genetics, genomics, next-generation sequencing and biochemistry techniques.
- Demonstrate the ability to work in a highly interdisciplinary environment.
- Experience with cancer research.
- Expertise and hands-on experience in animal studies, including all aspects of design, handling, breeding, tissue collection, histology, and analyses are essential.
- Familiarity with testing/characterization of small molecule or drug in vivo is preferred.
- Previous biochemical/cell biology and molecular biology experience with single cell genomics / transcriptomics, next generation sequencing, drugs screen and PDX modeling is an asset.
- Experience with statistical analyses and scientific writing. Previous experience with grant writing is an asset.
- Experience with bioinformatics approaches to biological data and familiarity with handling of genomics data is an asset.
Applicants with experience and a strong track record with large drug target screening, single cell methods, and PDX mouse models are especially encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Please send the following documents to email@example.com and put “Single Cell Genomics, Aparicio Lab – PDF Position” and your family name in the subject line.
- Cover Letter
- Work Sample