Research in the Adult Language Processing and Disorders Lab investigates factors that influence the quality of communication in interactions between persons with dementia and those who provide them with care. Both qualitative and experimental research is conducted to understand the impact of each partners’ behavior on communication outcomes, and to thereby inform interventions to improve communication in everyday activities. Current programs of research focus on facilitating communication for persons with dementia through memory training and through use of communication technologies.
The postdoctoral research associate will:
- Work on current projects investigating
- the use of communication app technology in long-term residential care settings;
- the effectiveness of Spaced Retrieval memory training for persons with Alzheimer’s disease or related dementia;
- the effects of verbal and nonverbal behavioural strategies in facilitating communication with persons who have Alzheimer’s disease or related dementia.
- Develop new research projects related to one or more of the above themes
- Generate funding proposals for new projects (e.g., CIHR, Alzheimer Society of Canada; industry)
- Work with and mentor other lab personnel in implementing projects, collecting data, analyzing data, writing manuscripts and grant applications, and coordinating activities, schedules, and meetings.
1) Ph.D. in gerontology, communication sciences and disorders, cognitive science, computer science, or related areas
2) Preferred previous experience conducting research with persons who have Alzheimer’s disease or related dementia
3) Preferred previous experience using both qualitative and quantitative research methodologies
Submit CV, list of 3 academic references, cover letter, and sample of publications to Dr. Jeff Small at: email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Contact: Dr. Jeff Small, Associate Professor and Director, School of Audiology and Speech Sciences, 2177 Wesbrook Mall, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, B.C., V6T 1Z3