Date & Time
Registration Closed / Past Event
This energetic, intensive one-day course will sharpen your professional time management skills and optimize your working week. Building on the Project Management Institute’s (PMI) best practices, methodologies, and productivity tactics, the workshop provides tools and techniques that can be applied to a partner industry project or employment-based role. Whether you’re handling dynamic timelines alone or within a team, you’ll be able to reach your project targets with the knowledge gained in this course.
*This session is being offered in collaboration with MITACS Training. Mitacs Training provides professional development training to advanced degree graduates, supplementing their education and research experience with the tools necessary to succeed in today’s workforce.
We will review and apply relevant time management processes within a project management context. We will also cover successful productivity optimization and performance improvement tactics. We will focus on professional scenarios from individual and team perspectives.
The tactics shared in this course can improve your ability to focus, follow through, take effective action, manage your energy, schedule with increased accuracy and agility, and help ensure a more successful outcome.
You will learn to:
Optimize your professional days and weeks
- Effectively define targets and goals so that they are clear and sustainable
- Accurately estimate activity duration
- Improve focus and better manage interruptions
- Reduce corrective communication
- Better defend project schedules without sacrificing relationship quotient
- Improve and leverage personal energy for sustainable follow-through on activities
Key Topic Areas
- Defining time management:
- PMI definitions and process review
- Identifying key symptoms of poor time management
- Key differences between individual and team-based approaches
- Defining Goals with clarity to uncover potential costly assumptions
- Action Logic: Breaking Down Work effectively to better organize action
- Designing Activities for effective follow-through
- Estimating Duration more accurately
- Visual Plotting techniques and tools
- Dynamic Iterative Planning
- Activity Optimization: Top Tactics for personal & professional success
- 5 Keys to action follow-through
- Improving Focus Management - Tactics
- Reducing Corrective Communication Time (Written & Meetings)
- Reducing Overallocation & Scope creep: Assess Before Yes
- 21-Day Challenge:
- Review & Rank 3 key tactics to apply over the next 21 days
Rose Hastreiter is a professional project manager, program manager, pm advisor, entrepreneur, creative professional and international facilitator who helps organizations develop their plans through the development of their people, processes, and the relationships in-between. Dynamic + engaging, her live workshops are inspiring, insightful, practical, and committed to bridging practical information with real-world application and human understanding. Her facilitation style is entertaining yet intelligent & pragmatic, with great testimonials from many of over 10,000 participants to date, in various sectors and fields of expertise.
Registration opens on Monday, October 21 at 9:00am.
Graduate students and postdoctoral fellows from all BC post-secondary institutions are eligible to participate. Priority will be given to UBC graduate students registered in the current academic session. After registering, you will receive confirmation and additional event details within 2 business days. If you experience any difficulty using the online registration tool, please e-mail email@example.com.
NOTE: Postdoctoral Fellows who would like to attend this session need to register through the Postdoctoral Fellows Office.
NO-SHOW FEE: No-shows are costly for our program and, most importantly, leave students on the waiting list. Students who register and do not attend will be charged a $25 no-show fee. To avoid this fee, please cancel at least 2 business days in advance by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org. If we are able to fill your spot from the waiting list, you will not be charged