Business Writing For Today's Professional
Date & Time
Registration Closed / Past Event
*This session is being offered in collaboration with MITACS Training. Mitacs Training provides professional development training to advanced degree graduates, supplementing their education and research experience with the tools necessary to succeed in today’s workforce.
No matter what field you’re working in, written communication is a critical part of your day-to-day duties. Regardless of your comfort or skill level, you can benefit from learning techniques to entice your readers and achieve your goals. This workshop will help all professionals hone their writing skills using proven techniques and processes.
To provide opportunities for participants to build on their business writing knowledge and skills through a combination of self-directed activities and in-person, facilitated application. Through their participation, participants will shape their approach to strategically creating clear written communication in a professional setting.
- Gain practical written communication skills to improve engagement with various stakeholders
- Deepen your understanding of writing techniques to concisely grab a reader’s attention and get results
- Learn writing methods that can be applied immediately
- Harness writing processes that maximize preparation and effective writing time
Key Topic Areas
Preparing to write
- Preparing to write: Gathering ideas , Organization, Scheduling
- Determine relevant information + Structure + Tools: Operational plan, Report, Template, Email
- Estimating + Scheduling + Defending writing time (email, letters, templates)
- Reduction techniques: 1st write, 2nd write, 3rd write
- Report Writing: Top Tips + Samples review
- Tables: Using – how to, when to, + Tips
- Images vs. Words (when to visualize data)
- Organizing Content: Top-down vs. Bottom Up
- Duration estimating: How long will this really take up in my day?
- Call-To-Action: Defining, usage
- Assessing + Respecting audience reading / attention time
Self-Editing + Review
- Proofing techniques
- Grammar + Sentence Structure Top Tips
- Formatting tips + MS Word / MS Excel quick tips
- Improving Clarity, Tone
Rose Hastreiter is a professional project manager, programme manager, pm advisor, entrepreneur, creative professional and international facilitator who helps organizations develop their plans through the development of their people, processes, and the relationships in-between. Dynamic + engaging, her live workshops are inspiring, insightful, practical, and committed to bridging practical information with real-world application and human understanding. Her facilitation style is entertaining yet intelligent & pragmatic, with great testimonials from many of over 10,000 participants to date, in various sectors and fields of expertise.
Registration opens on Tuesday, July 3 at 9:00am.
NO-SHOW FEE: No-shows are costly for our program and, most importantly, leave students on the waiting list. Students who register and do not attend will be charged a $25 no-show fee. To avoid this fee, please cancel at least 2 business days in advance by e-mailing email@example.com. If we are able to fill your spot from the waiting list, you will not be charged.
Graduate students and postdoctoral fellows from all BC post-secondary institutions are eligible to register. Priority will be given to UBC graduate students registered in the current academic session. After registering, you will receive confirmation and additional event details within 2 business days. If you experience any difficulty using the online registration tool, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Non-UBC graduate students and postdoctoral fellows wanting to register should e-mail email@example.com after the registration open date/time stated above.