Building Effective Supervisory Relationships
Date & Time
Registration Closed / Past Event
Have you ever wondered about strategies you can use to build strong relationships with your supervisor? Have you thought about ways of avoiding conflicts or managing them? If that is the case, this is the workshop for you! We will be describing important strategies for developing strong working relationships that support progress through your graduate program and for addressing and managing conflict. We will also share some scenarios for small group work that are derived from actual supervisor-student situations. There will be ample time for discussion.
- Identify key strategies to build effective relationships with supervisors
- Consider factors that potentially contribute to trust and reciprocity in relationships with supervisors
- Focus on making timely progress through your program and meeting milestones
- Consider factors that can disrupt effective supervisory relationships
- Appreciate the importance of clear boundaries in supervisory relationships
- Problem-solve ways to manage conflict
- Find sources of assistance in the event of intractable conflict.
Dr. Theresa Rogers is an Associate Dean, Program and Faculty Development, Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies. Theresa has a background in Education and has been successfully supervising graduate students for over 20 years.
Dr. Brianne Howard is the Director, Academic Support, Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies. Brianne brings a wealth of experience in dealing with complex situations that arise in graduate studies and acts as a liaison between graduate students, faculty members and programs. Brianne comes from a cultural studies background and with a focus on issues of accessibility and removing barriers to success.
Registration opens on Monday, October 2 at 9:00am.
Priority will be given to UBC graduate students registered in the current academic session. Confirmation of registration will be sent within two working days. If you experience any difficulty using the online registration tool, please send a message to: firstname.lastname@example.org