Professional and Business Effectiveness
Date & Time
Registration Closed / Past Event
Priority will be given to Graduate students and postdoctoral fellows from all BC post-secondary institutions. NOTE requires cwl login; if you have not yet registered on community.grad.ubc.ca you must first register for the site, then refresh to register for the event. Registration appears at the bottom of the event page). Confirmation of registration will be sent within two working days. If you experience any difficulty using the online registration tool, please send a message to: email@example.com
This is a co-sponsored by the Postdoctoral Fellows Office (PDFO) and the Graduate Pathways to Success Program. If you are a postdoctoral fellow, please register through the http://www.postdocs.ubc.ca/professional-development-events.
Session Information: This 3.5 hour workshop will help graduate students and postdoctoral fellows to:
- improve their communication and business effectiveness and get better results
- utilize professional business etiquette principles more effectively
- manage meetings more successfully
This program will be highly experiential and will give participants opportunity to practice having purposeful, professional conversations, incorporate professional business etiquette principles into their toolbox and practice how to manage meetings more successfully.
- be more confident expressing a professional conversational signature, including being assertive, while managing power differentials with less stress and more success;
- experience better results and have more impact as they incorporate their conversational signatures into day-to-day conversations and committee meetings as they interact with supervisors, colleagues and the business community;
- be aware of the impacts of not following generally accepted professional business etiquette principles and also the benefit of following professional business etiquette principles; and,
- have more confidence and will experience much better results as they lead, facilitate and manage meetings.
You will be expected to complete approximately 1.5 hrs of pre-work which consists of viewing videos, pre-reading and a short quiz. Once your registration has been accepted, we will send you the information. Please ensure you complete the quiz by the end of the day on April 2nd.
Templates and tools:
- At the end of the workshop participants will receive a copy of the most useful tools, templates and links to the resources referred to in the pre-work and the workshop.
Dene Rossouw is the Principal and Motivational Coach at Possibil.com, helping leaders build their influence and inspire innovation at work.
He helps his clients have the necessary conversations of leadership and helps organizations innovate by leveraging the power of employee ideas.
Dene is the Past President of the Vancouver chapter of the Canadian Association of Professional Speakers and is a Certified Executive Coach through Royal Roads University. He is a Certified Emotional Intelligence Facilitator and has the Associate Certificate in Workplace Conflict from the Justice Institute of British Columbia. He has a degree in Theology from the University of South Africa.
Refreshments: Beverages will be provided. Please bring your own mug.
For information on upcoming Graduate Pathways to Success events, please visit: www.grad.ubc.ca/pathways