Essentials of Productive Teams
Date & Time
Registration Closed / Past Event
* This session is being offered in collaboration with the MITACS Step program. Mitacs Step offers a holistic, inter-disciplinary approach to professional skills development. The workshops that are offered provide practical tools in business, communications, and project management through experiential learning from industry professionals in an interactive environment, arming graduate students for success within or beyond academia.
Recognize and utilize the skills of others to achieve workplace goals quickly while gaining the understanding of what it takes to lead and participate in a truly effective work team that meets deadlines and sees results.
You will learn:
- The key steps and competencies in building effective teams
- How to manage barriers to team success
- The best practices of team communication
Key Topic Areas
- Essentials of team building
- Creating a team action plan
- The importance of clarifying roles
- Understanding conflict within teams
- Building trust and accountability
- Identifying issues
- Motivating teams
- Available resources
Facilitator: Russel Horwitz, MEng. Russel has worked extensively as a leadership consultant / trainer since 2004 across a wide variety of sectors, including government, publically-held, private and non-profit. Russel spent 14 years in the high technology/engineering sector, where he held management roles in product development, marketing, customer service and training. His expertise includes leadership and team development as well as executive coaching. As a facilitator, Russel draws on his experiences to connect with his audience by relating topics to personal, relevant stories.
Refreshments: Beverages and light lunch will be provided. Please bring your own mug.
Registration: Seats are limited to 24 graduate student and postdoctoral fellow participants. Applicants from all BC post-secondary institutions will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. Registration opens Monday, January 12th. Please check back.
Applicants will receive confirmation within two working days of the receipt of their e-mail. If you have difficulty with registration, send an email to email@example.com
For postdoctoral fellows, please register through the Postdoctoral Fellows Office.
Information about upcoming Graduate Pathways to Success events can be found at: http://www.grad.ubc.ca/pathways